IBM definition of Social Business (#socbiz)
It takes a tiny spark to get your gears going. This short, simple post by Ted Rubin on Facebook and Twitter got mine going and inspired this blog on innovation via social business.
"Shift your approach from Social Marketing to Social Business.
The value of Social goes well beyond marketing. #RonR"
In 2011, when IBM coined the Social Business concept, the emphasis was on social media adoption and getting social infrastructure (tools & technology) in place. It has evolved a lot since.
An IBM 2013 Report defines Social Business as: "An organisation whose culture + systems encourage networks of people to create business value." Clearly, the emphasis is now on culture and enterprise-wide (internal + external) collaboration. It's about:
- Social Branding: See the organisation holistically - branding, content marketing, communicating as one integrated organism - to build brand influence, advocacy, loyalty.
- Employee Engagement: Happy Empowered Employees = Happy Satisfied Customers. Optimize resources via social tech to jointly leverage data, insights, talent, comms...
- Smarter Commerce: Reaching today's connected customer and serving her where, when and how she likes. In a fragmented market ecosystem, access is advantage.
- Social CRM: Think customer-centric to build and develop genuine, meaningful customer relationships. That's where Return on Relationship (RonR) comes in. Before ROI.
- Greater CX: Enhancing product, service, brand, content to deliver superior, consistent, memorable customer experiences at every touch-point - digital, mobile, events, web, retail...
Some great reading material + useful resources on Social Business
- CMSwire: How Social Business Can Help Organisations Succeed:
Download The IBM 2013 Report which identifies 6 Social Business Success Patterns which organisations can apply to quickly realize business results:
- Finding Expertise
- Gaining External Customer Insights
- Increasing Knowledge-sharing
- Improving Recruitment and On-boarding
- Managing Mergers and Acquisitions
- Enabling and Improving Workplace Safety
- The Power of Delivering Exceptional Customer Experiences
Sponsored content on The Atlantic: Cool interactive infographic that explains the business value of SMAC - Social, Mobile, Analytics, Content - with insights, statistics and case studies.
- An info-rich white paper: Social Business: Advent of a New Age
Must-read Harvard Business Review article: (This post's headline is from there!) Social Business is not Business-to-Business (B2B) or Business-to-Consumer (B2C), it's P2P - People to People.
9 Cs - Nine Critical Components of Successful Engagement
Seven Success Factors of Social Business Strategy
Read Vala Afshar's ebook review on Huffington Post
- Follow Sandy Carter's blog: Social Business Sandy
As IBM's VP of Social Business evangelism, author of Get Bold!,
Sandy blogs about the latest developments in social business:
- A live social experiment: an IBMer content aggregator - IBM Voices
- 4 elements of a social business platform + social networking capabilities
- Convergence of Social Business + Big Data + Analytics = Socialytics!
- Top 10 Steps to Social Business Adoption:
- A timely tweet via Talent Culture
Organizations that refuse to engage in social business will become extinct like dinosaurs. #leadership #tchat #socbiz TYRT>@TalentCulture
— Michael Clark (@ReCenterMoment) July 12, 2013
- A neat infographic
- Get Social. Do Business. IBM Social Business
A dedicated web portal full of trials, demos, solutions, reports and downloads. Watch the TV ad/ video.
Inspired Workforce - Productivity - Better Relationships - Collaboration - Innovation - Value - Competitive Advantage
- I believe...
"Social is the way forward. Collaboration is the way to go. Social Business is the future."
What do you think... Is social business the way to innovation, growth and success?